How a recruiter should analyze the Project Manager Requirement or Project Manager Job Description:
Project Managers may be junior, middle level, senior level and working on different lines of business. In most of the project manager jobs, PMP certification will be mandatory.
Project Manager (Administration): Manages the entire project without any technical or domain knowledge. From their experience, they would be managing the projects and certification.
Project Manager (Domain): Manages the entire project; strong business knowledge on the domain like health care or insurance or mortgage and works as a business analyst or smart management expert as and when required. They may have started their career as a business analyst and because of their knowledge, experience; they will be managing the projects.
Project Manager (Technical): Manages the entire project; strong technical knowledge like Java or Dot Net or ERP. They may have started their career as developer, and then promoted to group lead and then promoted to project managers. Since they work as a project manager for that project, they will get functional knowledge also.
Program Manager: If it is an enterprise level project, then several project managers will be working for different projects. A manager who can oversee other project managers and handle multiple projects is called as program manager.
Roles and Responsibilities of a Technical Project Manager:
- Designs, plans, and coordinates work teams for the Enterprise Projects.
- Follows standard project management industry practices such as the PMI's framework.
- Creates project charter, work plan and tracks budget/schedule progress via appropriate metrics.
- Define project tasks and resource requirements; develop full scale project plans working with various teams; assemble and coordinate project staff; manage project resource allocation.
- Should have understanding in project risk management.
- Constantly monitor and report on progress of the project to all stakeholders.
- Negotiates resources. Communicates to stakeholders and project sponsor.
- Identifies, tracks and ensures resolution of issues and removal of barriers.
- Understands business and technical objectives of a project and works closely with project sponsor.
- Provides technical support to project team members.
- Handles complex application features and technical designs.
- Designs and implements the components required for complex application features.
- Generally manages a group of applications systems analysts.
- Solid experience with MS Project, Microsoft Excel, Visio, Word, Outlook, and SharePoint.
- Knowledge of technical software project management techniques and tools.
- Present reports defining project progress, problems and solutions.
Job Description Analysis Example - Data Modeling