US Green Card Questions:
1. How US technical recruiter or Bench Sales Manager is benefited by Green Card Information?
Top notch consultants (working on H-1B or L-1B etc.), who wishes to join with your employer always ask this question “Whether you will process my Green Card”. If you say ‘YES’, then the probability of joining with your employer is on the higher side. If you have the information handy, then you can talk at length and provide appropriate information.
2. What is US Green Card (GC)?
Green Card is issued by US Government for non-US citizens to work and live permanently in the US. Green Card Holders have permanent resident status and have to maintain this status. Otherwise Green Card will be revoked.
3. What are the two primary paths to get Green Card?
- 1. Adjustment of Status: If you are in US
- 2. Consular Processing: Outside US
4. How to get US Green Card (GC)?
There are different categories and for each category, a separate process and procedure has to be followed.
- Applying Green Card through Family
- Green Card through a Job from an employer
- Green Card through Refugee or Asylee Status
Note: Please go through the USCIS website to get more information.
5. How long it takes to get a Green Card for H-1B or L-1 employee?
This question is always asked by the candidate. The time taken to get the Green Card depends on various situations like visa status(working on H-1B or L-1B or L-1A status in US etc), category type (EB1, EB2, EB3), candidate’s working location, Candidate’s nationality (India, China), priority date (filing date of PERM application), US Government’s different center’s processing speed etc. Approximately it may take around 5 to 7 years to get green card for India and Chinese citizens(those who are working on L-1B and H-1B status) if the petition is filed on EB-2 category.
6. How many stages are in processing Green Card on EB-2 or EB-3 category?
There are 3 important stages.
- 1) PERM: Perm has 3 stages, Obtaining Prevailing Wage from Department of Labor, Recruitment Process and filing PERM application. Prevailing Wage Information and Recruitment Process Information will be key input to file PERM application.
- 2) I-140: Immigration petition for an alien worker.
- 3) I-485: Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status.
7. How many Green Cards are issued in a year?
This depends on the US Governments rules and regulation. As of now approximately 480,000 Green cards are issued to Family-based immigration petitions and 140,000 to employment based petitions.
Please go through the USCIS website to get latest information.
Step by Step Process for H-1B Amendment Step by Step Approach to get Green Card